Husband and I went to Greece on our honeymoon. The beginning of our obsession, and the reason the Easy Greek Skillet Dinner exists. (Our gift to the world.)
Now, of course, this isn’t AUTHENTIC Greek food. (I have to say that in case my Greek friend, Tony, is reading.)
But it’s EASY. And so, so, SO delicious.
And when I say EASY, I mean SERIOUSLY easy. Like Sunday morning (whatever that means). Like a Sunday morning when you make a meal that mostly just involves opening jars and cans.
Speaking of which: I always keep a few jars of olives, capers, roasted red peppers, and artichokes around lest I get flustered and plan poorly and don’t have any ideas for dinner. Add an onion, some chicken, some tomato, and some seasoning and you’ve got an Easy Greek Skillet dinner goin’.
If you do dairy, add some goat’s milk feta cheese. It really ties the dish together.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1-2 lbs. chicken thighs or breast, chopped (your preference)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 Tbs. high-quality Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Balanced Bites Greek Seasoning (or homemade Greek blend, below)
- 1 small purple onion, chopped
- 1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes OR 1 can of chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 can of quartered artichokes, drained
- 1 jar of pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 jar of capers, drained
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained
- Feta cheese (optional)
Homemade Greek seasoning blend
- Homemade Greek seasoning blend (use approx. 2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- pinch of lemon zest
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried mint OR pinch of fresh mint
- Marinate the chopped chicken in the lemon juice and 2 Tbs. of the olive oil for 15-30 minutes.
- With about 5 minutes left to marinate, heat a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add additional olive oil for cooking.
- Once hot, add red onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and turn until cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, add all the jarred and canned goodies to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add spices and feta and stir to combine.
Thanks for reading, and happy cooking!
This looks super delicious and I love how easy it is – dumping things out of cans might not be the most elegant phrase but I can definitely see myself having a lot of fun cracking off the lids and chucking everytime in!
I wonder if this would work in the oven too?
Hey Claire! I bet it would be yummy in the oven, especially with the goat cheese!
Authentic Greek certified!!!!!!!!
I saw this post before leaving work and decided I had to make it! I didn’t have a full hour even so didn’t marinate the meat…I just added the lemon juice and zest to the olive oil as I was cooking the chicken. I upped the garlic, added fresh cured green olives, and definitely went with the dairy version and added feta. I did however forget to add the herbs though! I had to throw it back on the stove and I just sprinkled on some oregano and thyme, guessing really, and simmered for a few. The end result was AMAZING! I am FOR SURE making this again and again! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
This makes me SO happy Molly! I’m so glad you tried and liked!
mmmmm great recipe, love 🙂
This looks amazing liz! Can’t wait to make this for my boyfriend…I think he’d love it!
THIS IS AMAZING! Even without the onion and garlic, which I have to omit due to FODMAP sensitivity. I added a bag of Trader Joe’s Power Greens (kale, spinach, chard) to it. And extra olives.
I made this for our dinner last night, both the hubs and I LOVED it! So simple, so yum. I sauteed my onions and garlic first, then added the marinated chicken and cooked it all together for more flavor.
Definitely adding this one to the rotation. Thanks!!
Could you tell us about those super cute dishes you photographed that deliciousness in? 🙂 I am adding this to the menu this week!
Ooh, I actually got them in Greece on our honeymoon at a stoneware shop! I’m glad you liked them 🙂
made this last night for dinner with TJs cultured goat cheese and the addition of TJs power greens and your recipe for the homemade Greek seasoning. Excellent!! This is going on our regular monthly rotation!
planning on buying the ingredients today and making tomorrow!
This is amazing! Thank you so much!