All right. I know this is probably the easiest, most obvious recipe ever. But guess what? I’m a bad cook. Things aren’t always obvious. I share them nonetheless.
Okay, on to the healthier homemade almond milk AND how to blanch almonds.
Here are a few facts:
- Almond milk from the store is full of gunk.
- Almond milk is so friggin’ easy to make, there’s no reason NOT to make it at home.
- Blanched almonds are really FUN to make, so again: no reason NOT to do it.
While we usually get raw, full-fat milk from grass-fed cows (yep, we do raw dairy), we’ve been too busy fighting ticks and raising goats to make it to our farmer lately. And yesterday, I needed some white liquid to put in my coffee. That’s just how I like it.
So I made my own almond milk. I know there are LOTS of recipes for this all over the internet, but scout’s honor: I figured this out myself. Maybe I’m even doin’ it wrong – who knows. (Let me know in the comments.)
I use this nut milk bag (tee-hee). SO much easier than cheesecloth.
I chose NOT to soak the almonds, because I believe most of the troublesome anti-nutrients are contained in the skin. Remove the skin by blanching, and you can have homemade almond milk in minutes.
Here’s the short recipe: blanch, blend, pour, squeeze. Done.
Blanching is super easy. You just boil briefly, then “ping” the almonds out of their skins after blanching, which is also fun.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 [url href=”http://amzn.to/PmYXso” target=”_blank”][u]nut milk bag[/u][/url] for easy squeezin’
- Bring 2 cups of the filtered water to a boil.
- Add almonds for and boil for 45 seconds. (Skin will begin to release.)
- Strain almonds from boiling water immediately and run cool water over them.
- Once cool, grip each almond between 2 fingers WITH THE POINTY SIDE FACING OUT.
- Pinch and the almond will “ping” from its skin! (Voila – blanched almonds!)
- Place blanched almonds in the blender and cover with 1 cup of filtered water.
- Blend for 10 seconds or until almonds are totally pulverized and liquid is white.
- Pour into a bowl lined with a [url href=”http://http://amzn.to/PmYXso” target=”_blank”][u]nut milk bag[/u][/url].
- Strain and enjoy!