*Don’t miss the Autoimmune Bundle – deal expires May 25!
Before I tell ya all about the BEST non toxic baby products for a natural nursery, I should probably tell you…
I had a baby!
If you listen to my podcasts you may have already known; however, since I’m keeping our little one’s photo and details off the internet for now (at least until age, like, three – when kids become old enough to use smartphones and have Instagram profiles #iwishiwaskidding) all I can say is that I used to look like this:
(My gut finally caught up to my butt!)
And now I look like…well, that, without the belly, minus a few weeks’ worth of showers, plus a nice thick coating of breast milk and drool.
So even though we’ve chosen to raise our little one away from the prying eyes of the intersnoops, I WILL be sharing all things natural and non-toxic baby-related!
(And for tons of fertility, conception and pregnancy wellness-related knowledge, sign up for the Baby Making & Beyond program I created with the amazing Meg the Midwife.)
Motherhood so far has been a lot of things. It’s been tiring, precious, awful, awe-inspiring, humbling, knock-you-down-a-pegging, transformative, hilarious (I never thought I’d care about another creature’s poop so much), did I mention tiring? and I’m only just starting to get the hang of it. Although I’ve gotten REALLY good at doing things with one hand. And sometimes, with my feet.
I now have zero control (which is tough for a gal who took years to research and execute a preconception/fertility and pregnancy health plan)…but I’m getting OK with that.
While I can’t control everything, I can control SOME things, especially the types of products (mattresses, clothing and such) where baby spends the MOST time. Enter: the best non toxic baby products for a natural nursery.
Now, all a baby REALLY needs (*technically*) is your boobs and lots of love. But let’s be honest. They didn’t come up with baby registries for nothin’.
BTW: use Myregistry.com to add stuff from all kinds of different stores – don’t get stuck with Buy Buy Baby! (Ugh, has there ever been a more terrible name for a store?)
So here are posts about my favorites – items we’ve used from the beginning – and why we love them. Some are expensive, some aren’t. Some you may deem necessary, some you might not.
In the end, just do what you feel deep down is right for your family and DON’T STRESS. LOTS more goes in to parenting than a few items on a registry. I am in no way suggesting that having these items or NOT having them will make or break one’s ability to parent.
I’m also NOT making any statements about how you SHOULD or should NOT parent. Whether you cloth diaper, EC, or use disposables; whether you bedshare, cosleep, or have baby across the hall, whether you (insert controversial parenting topic here) or not, there’s a tidbit in here for you!
Plenty more to come, and please leave your favorites in the comments of each post!
Guidelines we followed
In general, we followed these guidelines:
- If we bought it new, it was made with non-toxic materials like
- untreated or safely treated solid wood (water-based or formaldehyde-free lacquers)
- organic cotton
- eco-wool (wool not treated with chemicals and derived from sheep raised humanely)
- latex (basically baked rubber – what mattresses used to be made from)
- AND everything’s manufactured without industrial flame retardant chemicals.
- If we couldn’t find (or afford) a totally non-toxic item, we searched for USED items that had been out of the box long enough to have released as many toxic fumes and potentially irritating substances as possible.
- For baby body care, we looked for natural and safe substances containing none of my ingredients to avoid. (Note: we really don’t bathe our baby unless it’s necessary – her first bath was at 2 weeks old. Good ol’ fashioned wiping the neck rolls with coconut oil and the nether-regions with flannel wipes has been plenty.)
Check out the posts in this series…
Natural baby products: best cloth diapers for newborns
Natural baby products: safe non toxic baby bedding
The best non toxic baby shops
Natural baby products: non toxic nursing supplies (coming soon!)
Natural baby products: non toxic baby body care & natural remedies (coming soon!)
Natural baby products: non toxic baby equipment (coming soon!)
Natural baby products: organic & eco-friendly baby clothing (coming soon!)
If there’s another topic you’d like me to tackle, let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for reading,