Get my Email Exclusives!
Subscriber-only goodness delivered straight to you.
Real Food Liz/Liz Wolfe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. An underlined hyperlink denotes a sponsored, affiliate or Amazon Services LLC link from which I earn or have earned a fee. For more information, click here.
[DROPS MICROPHONE, WALKS AWAY]
…I really don't think I need to say much more about this. I mean, it's bacon freaking jam. It's the bacon-wrapped date, amplified. (More A/V jokes!)
Once upon a time, I got the chance to eat at the incredible restaurant HG Supply Co. with some of my favorite people – Ben and Jenni (aka #CoffeeWithBen and The Urban Poser), April (Butterflies, Peace, Paleo) and my blogless buddies (aka friends who can actually eat food without having to Instagram a thousand pictures of it) Jacquelyn and Amy (Amy's also my travel buddy).
There, we were introduced to bacon jam. And our lives were forever changed.
So of course, when Amy and I got home, we had to TRY to create something similar. We found amazing recipes like Steph's and Mark's and Simone's but we were missing MAJOR ingredients for each recipe, and since I live in the boon-sticks, “running to the store” isn't an option.
So we had to figure something out with what we had on-hand. Which was an onion, some dates, bacon, and a 30-lb bag of carrots.
(We didn't use the carrots.)
This doesn't have the amazing complexity of the HG Supply stuff, nor is it as ingenious as the other recipes, but it's easy, delicious, and it's bacon freaking jam.
The best part? It takes just 3 ingredients – all of which are staples in most Real Food kitchens.
It tastes amazing on anything, but it's ESPECIALLY amazing on fresh fried eggs.
- 5-6 pieces of bacon, chopped into small pieces (preferably from pasture-raised pork)
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 10 pitted dates (I get mine from Nuts.com)
- 1 cup water
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, add the dates, remove saucepan from heat, cover, and allow dates to soak in the hot water until you get to step 4.
- Cook chopped bacon in a skillet over medium heat until done but NOT CRISPY. Set aside, leaving bacon grease in the pan.
- Cook onions in the bacon grease for approximately 10 minutes (they should be slighly brown but not burnt). When cooked, scoop the onions out and add them to the bacon.
- Now, mash the dates with a fork in the saucepan. (Don't pour out the water!)
- When dates are mashed, add the bacon and onions to the date-water mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and "reduce" (aka keep simmering until the water cooks away) for about 10-15 minutes. Mixture should get gooey!
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Then, add mixture to a food processor (I use this one) and pulse several times.
- Put in face.
Want more? Try my Email Exclusives!
Stay in the know & get exclusive subscriber-only goodies!