Real Food Liz/Liz Wolfe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. An underlined hyperlink denotes a sponsored, affiliate or Amazon Services LLC link from which I earn or have earned a fee. For more information, click here.
My brain said carrots and apples don't go together!
But my taste buds said ooohhhh yes, they do. (And my nearly-empty refrigerator said this is all we got, so you better make it work.)
Hash is a delicious thing, and I appreciate it all the more since it's a way to make something amazing out of … well … those lingering scraps you've got lurking in the forgotten corners of a fridger-tater in desperate need of a refill.
(So we chose to re-re-watch Season 1 of Game Of Thrones on our mutual day off instead of
cleaning the chicken coop going to the store. Who wouldn't?)
Back to the recipe: this draws on my easy breakfast sausage patty recipe – except you make it crumbly instead of making it into patties. Add the rest of the goodies and you're done. It's sweet n' savory n' easy as heck. Make it. (This recipe also appears at Good Food for Bad Cooks.)
Note that I used a toaster oven to roast the carrots – this thing is amazing, because it requires NO pre-heating, making all manner of roasted yummies both delicious and quick. Along with my meat grinder and my pressure cooker, this thing saves serious cook time. If you don't have a toaster oven, you'll simply roast the carrots in the oven.
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped into uniform pieces
- 1-2 apples, peeled and chopped into uniform pieces
- 1 Tbs. cooking fat (recommended: lard, ghee, or coconut oil)
- 1 lb. ground pork (pasture-raised if you can find it; find a farmer at EatWild.com)
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- If using the oven to roast the carrots, preheat oven to 450°
- Toss chopped carrots in ½ Tbs. cooking fat and roast at 450° for 15 minutes
- Heat ½ Tbs. of the cooking fat over medium heat in a skillet.
- Once melted, add the onions.
- Cook onions, stirring a few times, until they release their moisture and begin to brown. (About 10 minutes.)
- While onions are cooking...
- Mush together the pork, the sage, the salt and pepper.
- When onions are nearly done, add the pork mixture to the skillet and cook through.
- Drain any liquid (if necessary) and return skillet to heat.
- Add chopped apples & roasted carrots and cook for another 3-ish minutes.
- Put an egg on it!
Want more? Try my Email Exclusives!
Stay in the know & get exclusive subscriber-only goodies!