Get my Email Exclusives!
Subscriber-only goodness delivered straight to you.
Real Food Liz/Liz Wolfe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. An underlined hyperlink denotes a sponsored, affiliate or Amazon Services LLC link from which I earn or have earned a fee. For more information, click here.
This resource guide, which is also found at my Eat the Yolks website, provides a foundation for finding and cooking healthful food.
These are my favorite resources for local food & farms (and for properly raised animal products that can be shipped to you); recommended reading; kitchen help (including a few pre-made products that aren't full of gunk); and other resources, like my favorite blogs and podcasts.
Local Food & Farms
There are more resources than ever for finding food, properly raised animal products, and farmer's markets near you. Ask your vendors how they raise their animals or grow their produce – if they're proud of their methods, they'll be glad to tell you about them! Often locally-grown food is more affordable than the food available in the supermarket or high-end grocery store; keep in mind, though, that ordering healthful foods from the internet is almost always more expensive. Exploring local resources is a must!
For LOCAL farmers and resources for pasture-raised meats, poultry, and eggs near you:
For nationwide SHIPPING of healthy animal products, including bison, beef, poultry, pork, eggs & seafood:
For recommendations for sustainably fished, wild-caught seafood based on your location:
For more information on raw milk:
For local & organic produce, including fruits, veggies, CSAs, and farmer's markets in your area:
Of course, I must first recommend my book, Eat the Yolks (wink).
The books listed below provide practical advice for cooking, getting comfortable in the kitchen, and meal planning, as well as added information and historical context. They're perfect additions to your Real Food bookshelf; many are written by authors who completely changed their health thanks to a change in their food! These are my favorites, but there are many more out there. Explore your local bookstore!
For practical advice for cooking, using the kitchen, and meal planning:
- The Farmer and the Grill: a guide to grilling, barbecuing and spit-roasting grass-fed meat by Shannon Hayes
- Good Meat: the complete guide to sourcing and cooking sustainable meat by Deborah Krasner
- Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo
- 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking by Hayley & Bill Staley
- Make it Paleo by Hayley & Bill Staley
- Well Fed & Well Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan
- The Paleo Slow Cooker by Arsy Vartanian
- The Paleo Foodie Cookbook by Arsy Vartanian
- Against All Grain by Danielle Walker
- Paleo by Season by Pete and Sarah Servold
- Paleo Lunches & Breakfasts on the Go by Diana Rodgers
- The Slim Palate Cookbook by Joshua Weissman
- The Ancestral Table by Russ Crandall
- Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans by Michelle Tam and Henry Fong
- The Paleo Approach Cookbook by Sarah Ballantyne
- The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook by Mickey Trescott
- Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog by Stacy Toth and Matt McCarry
- Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods by Jill Ciciarelli
- The Paleo Chocolate Lover's Cookbook by Kelly V. Brozyna
- The Paleo Kitchen by Juli Bauer and George Bryant
For more information on historical context, dietary science, dietary approaches for special concerns, and other recommended reading:
- The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease by Sarah Ballantyne
- Your Personal Paleo Code by Chris Kresser
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
- Death by Food Pyramid by Denise Minger
- The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor
- The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith
- Meat: a Benign Extravagance by Simon Fairlie
- Heart and Blood by Richard Nelson
- Know Your Fats by Mary Enig
- The Untold Story of Milk by Dr. Ron Schmid
- Real Food by Nina Planck
- Real Food for Mother & Baby by Nina Planck
- The Real Food Cookbook by Nina Planck
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
- Sexy by Nature: the Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence by Stefani Ruper
- Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breast-feeding, and Babies' First Foods by Kristen Michaelis
The following are my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets for making cooking easier, along with a few favorite sauces and brands that provide healthful, junk-free pre-made food. When I transitioned from a diet based around packaged so-called “health foods” and highly processed junk with long, unpronounceable ingredients lists, I was a bit confused as to how to slice-and-dice my way to Real Food Kitchen success. These items have made life much easier!
Large Kitchen Gadgets
- Crock Pot/Slow Cooker (ideal for all-day cooking of soups, chili or stew)
- Stovetop Pressure Cooker (ideal for fast cooking & tenderizing of lean cuts of meat)
- Toaster oven (not for toast, but for fast baking and quick re-heating without a microwave!)
- Blendtec blender (among the highest-quality, most solid blenders on the market, aside from Vitamix)
Small Kitchen Gadgets
- Salad shooter (for easy, fast shredding and slicing of veggies)
- Magic Bullet (a more affordable, versatile blending device)
- Hand blender/food processor/immersion blender combo (a favorite, ideal multi-purpose tool)
- Paderno (device allows you to make noodles out of your favorite vegetables!)
- Jaccard meat tenderizer (ideal for tenderizing grass-fed meats)
- Vidalia Chop Wizard (a great way to “chop” veggies, especially root veggies, uniformly)
Fats & oils
Pre-made meals, snacks & treats
My favorite blogs & podcasts are below. I'm always adding to the list, so check back often.
- Balanced Bites by Diane Sanfilippo
- The Clothes Make the Girl by Melissa Joulwan
- Primal Palate by Hayley and Bill Staley
- Rubies & Radishes by Arsy Vartanian
- Nom Nom Paleo by Michelle Tam
- The Paleo Mom by Sarah Ballantyne
- The Paleo Parents by Stacy Toth and Matt McCarry
- PaleOMG by Juli Bauer
- Mark's Daily Apple by Mark Sisson
- The Balanced Bites Podcast with Diane Sanfilippo and Liz Wolfe (my podcast!)
- The Paleo View with Stacy Toth and Sarah Ballantyne
Want more? Try my Email Exclusives!
Stay in the know & get exclusive subscriber-only goodies!