Get my Email Exclusives!
Subscriber-only goodness delivered straight to you.
Real Food Liz/Liz Wolfe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. An underlined hyperlink denotes a sponsored, affiliate or Amazon Services LLC link from which I earn or have earned a fee. For more information, click here.
So you may notice something's amiss with the concept of bacon & carrot hash with crispy kale & poached eggs.
Namely, I've been very public about my hatred for kale. I don't like kale. I think it's disgusting fibrous poison. I think it's equivalent to whatever evil forces were behind the making of Miss Congeniality 2, Legally Blonde 2, and Dumb and Dumber 2 (which I refuse to believe could possibly hold a candle to the old one.) So, yar. I VEHEMENTLY DISLIKE KALE.
Except for this one time. Just this one time. Because when you make kale crispy, then combine it with bacon, bacon-grease-soaked carrots, AND ya #PutAnEggOnIt, you pretty much can't go wrong.
Bacon & carrot hash with crispy kale & poached eggs is crispety, crumbly, perfectly salty, and soaked in egg yolk. Does it get any better?
Like most of my recipes, this is less a recipe and more an idea. A suggestion for tasty food combinations that please the palate. Wait. That actually sounds like the definition of “recipe.” I'm confused. Did you just say something? Never mind.
- 2-3 pieces of bacon (or the equivalent amount of Pete's Paleo bacon)
- 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, with the thick veins removed, chopped into pieces about the size of potato chips (you'll crumble them later). Make sure the kale is DRY.
- A small pot's worth o' boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs. white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- While oven preheats, heat up a skillet and cook up your bacon. Set the bacon aside.
- Drain off a bit of the bacon grease and "toss" your carrots in it (use enough to lightly coat). If there's not enough, toss the carrots in ghee, coconut oil or preferred cooking fat.
- Spread carrots evenly across a baking dish and roast until slightly browned (about 30 minutes).
- While carrots roast, drain off a bit of the bacon grease and "toss" your kale in it (use enough to lightly coat). If there's not enough, toss the kale in ghee, coconut oil or preferred cooking fat.
- Spread kale across parchment paper on a large baking sheet (don't over-crowd or it won't get crispy).
- With about 10 minutes left on the carrots, pop the kale into the oven. 10 minutes (15 max) should yield crispy kale.
- While the carrots and kale cook, set a saucepan of water with the vinegar to boil.
- When water boils, crack 2 eggs into it.
- Cover & remove from heat. Allow to stand for 4 minutes.
- Crumble the kale and the bacon together, add carrots, and put an egg on it.
Want more? Try my Email Exclusives!
Stay in the know & get exclusive subscriber-only goodies!