An underlined hyperlink denotes an affiliate or Amazon Services LLC link. For more information, see the disclosure at the end of this page or click here to learn more.
Real Food Liz/Liz Wolfe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Regarding other affiliate links and affiliate relationships: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. For more information, click here.
Sometimes I make food. Considering I run a food blog that’s hardly ever about food, it’s important I circle back to this now and again.
For those that have been around for awhile, you probably know that I’m not a kitchen genius. The closest I ever get is when I use this zucchini noodle miracle-maker. I generally can’t crack an egg without breaking the yolk, which means I have many sad mornings. And many more “skillets” than Benedicts. This is funny, because it’s sad.
(“Skillet” is a fancy word for dumping a bunch of stuff in a pan and heating it up.)
Don’t try to fix me. Trust me, I’ve tried everything. And know what? Sucking 90% of the time just means the other 10% of the time is ERMAGERD amazing.
You actually CAN suck at cooking and still enjoy delicious, clean, REAL food. Sometimes it involves an $8 bottle of “clean” Dave’s Gourmet pasta sauce, but both time AND sanity are worth a few extra bucks to me now and again, especially in a time crunch.
I always have a bottle of Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash sauce AND a bottle of Dave’s Gourmet Heirloom Tomato sauce on-hand just in case. They’re super-clean, organic, and have just a few basic ingredients. And they *dump* positively elegantly over basics like ground bison, beef and spaghetti squash – staples in our kitchen.
So here’s what I do:
I make a spaghetti squash. Depending on the time crunch, I may:
- Cut it in half, scoop out seeds, place cut-side down on a plate, add 1/2 c. water to the plate, and microwave (yeah, microwave. It’s my cells frying, not yours) for 10 minutes.
- Cut it in half, scoop out seeds, place cut-side down in a dish, add 1/2 c. water to the dish, and bake at 375 for 45 minutes (less if it’s small).
You can bake it whole as well. It all depends on whether you want to hack violently at the raw squash to slice it BUT have an easier time scooping out the seeds pre-bake; or if you want an easier slice but a more obnoxious scoop.
I choose the former, because my middle name is “Danger Fingers.”
While the squash cooks, I cook up some ground bison. (We usually buy it from our local butcher OR in semi-bulk from Tropical Traditions, but I believe Whole Paycheck carries it too.)
Combine spaghetti squash, bison, and butternut sauce and you’ve got a seriously easy, scrumptious dinner.
Want more? Try my Email Exclusives!
Stay in the know & get exclusive subscriber-only goodies!